Electronic roulette appeared in the mid-twentieth century and quickly became included in the range of games available in casinos. Electronic roulette differs from live roulette in that it does not require the presence of a dealer as it uses an automated system to release the ball. There are different types of electronic roulettes such as Diamond Roulette by Interblock, Dominator by Greentube or Red Winner by Picmatic.
Electronic Roulette in Casinos
It is possible to play electronic roulette at some online casinos such as 32 Red, 888 or Black Diamond where they are also referred to as Automatic or Auto Roulette. The use of electronic roulettes allows casinos to save on the cost of organizing games and hiring personnel. In addition, for land based casinos, the electronic version occupies less space than conventional roulette, which makes it possible to provide a game room with more machines that more players can use at the same time.
You can find electronic roulette machines in many of the well known casinos in the top gambling cities of the world including The Mirage in Las Vegas, The Venetian in Macau, The Hippodrome in London, The Macau Sporting Club in Cork, The River Rock Casino Resort in British Columbia and The Star Casino in Sydney.
Free Electronic Roulette
In some casinos it is possible to play free electronic roulette online thanks to the no deposit bonuses or welcome bonuses. These allow you to get to know the casino games and play for free without having to make a deposit. Although there are often restrictions to the gambling games you can play using the funds from a no deposit bonus.
At 888 online casino you can play electronic or auto roulette for free with their no deposit bonus of €88.
Electronic Roulette Machines
The operation of electronic roulette machines is very simple. As in any roulette game, your goal is to guess on which number the ball will land.
The electronic roulette software is based on an electronic circuit where an air blower launches the ball and rotating plates accelerate its movement. The ball is launched around 60-80 times per hour, which is approximately every 30-45 seconds. Although this varies from one model to another. The electronic roulette machine has an auto roulette wheel in the centre and bet terminals with touch screens located around it. Despite what many think, they do not use magnets, instead, the system has optical and proximity sensors that detect the position of the ball.
The wheel is covered with a protective cover to prevent any type of tampering, damage or unauthorized access. This game of chance can accomodate several players at once although it is also possible to find individual electronic roulette games.
Electronic Roulette Bets
Before you start playing, you have to know about the different roulette bets. In the electronic version, you do not place your chips on a table, instead you must use an electronic screen.
Some machines have systems of protection against simultaneous bets, so they do not allow you to bet identical sums on opposite positions like black/red, odd/even, low/high, etc. If such bets are made, a warning message will appear stating that the bet is not valid and the player must withdraw or modify their bet in order to continue the game.
Casinos usually include new and different bets on their electronic roulettes. But in general, you can bet on the 37 numbers with simple bets such as black/red, lower (1-18) / higher (19-36), odd/even or combination bets.
You can combine inside bets with outside bets. Inside bets are:
- Trio is a bet on the first three numbers eg: 0, 1 and 2 or 0, 2 and 3.
- Split is a bet on two numbers that are beside each other on the betting table eg: the line between 25 and 28 puts a bet on both numbers.
- Street is a bet on three numbers that are in a row eg: 7, 8, 9 or 19, 20, 21.
- Corner is a bet for four numbers that are in a square eg: 17, 18, 20 and 21.
- Sixline is the bet for six numbers that form a rectangle, if you place your chips where the line below 31 and 34 and the line between 31 and 34 make a T, you will be betting on 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 & 36.
- Column is a bet on one of the three rows of numbers as shown on the betting area.
- Dozen is a bet for the first, second or third dozen numbers (1-12, 13-24 or 25-36).
Electronic Roulette Manufacturers
There are several electronic roulette developers:
- Fazi is the leading developer of electronic roulette in the Balkans. Their games include Optimum, Key One, Zed and Triple Crown.
- Greentube stands out for its 24 terminal electronic roulette that can be found in some of the larger casinos around the world.
- Picmatic is a Spanish developer that since 1984 has been developing arcade machines and roulettes. Among them are Red Winner Roulette and Bill Roulette.
- The company Interblock, based in Slovenia, has developed Diamond Roulette and Organic Roulette. In addition Interblock has also created Chinese roulette and individual electronic roulette machines.
- IGT has created electronic roulette machines with one and two zeros.
Despite the different roulette models that we can find in the market, the latest generation electronic roulettes have some common characteristics:
- They use three sensors to quickly detect where the ball falls.
- They include an automatic change of the ball.
- The wheel has a high hardness coverage with carbon fiber and several highly reliable fraud prevention systems.
Electronic Roulette Games
There are two main types of electronic roulette games, the European version (with a zero) and the American version (with two zeroes). European roulette has 37 numbers, 18 red, 18 black and one zero, and American roulette has 38 numbers, 18 red, 18 black and two zeroes.
As the electronic European roulette has 37 numbers (from 0 to 36), this gives an advantage to the casino of 1/37 or 2.70%. While the American roulette, which has 38 numbers, gives the casino an advantage of 2/38 or 5.26%.
How to win at Electronic Roulette
Electronic roulette, like live roulette with a dealer, is a game of chance, so victory depends largely on luck and the bets you make. Throughout the history of roulette, countless strategies and tricks that can help you learn how to win have been developed. These include the Martingale system and the Law of the Third.
Land based casinos try to prevent manipulations and any kind of unfair play. For this reason, one of the essential criteria when deciding whether or not it is worth playing a particular electronic roulette, is that the wheel must be visible, otherwise it could have been tampered with or altered so that it becomes unreliable.